Saturday, July 17, 2010

I recall a bigger brighter world

1. Get inspired to re-read this article about Grant McLennan and Robert Forster and the Go-Betweens.

Robert Forster interview

2. Marvel about the fact that this article may result in the waterworks being turned on, but that things printed in the goddamn sodding Courier Mail usually make me cry for another reason.

3. Understand the many layers of Brisbane references in the interview and in their songs, in the way that someone who spent their whole entire life (excluding the last year + five months) living in Brisbane can. And well, hell, the Go-Betweens song "Karen" used to pop into my head when I entered the library at the University of Queenland when I studied there. And plus, I am forever a sucker for hearing the tales of people who have lived long, interesting lives in my town.

3. Watch the Go-Betweens song "Cattle and Cane" several times on Youtube



4. Then watch Grant Mc and Robert F performing it together




5. Feel a little homesick, feel a lot alone, wish for someone to give you a hug, and settle for going back out into the freezing, grey, cold, Melbourne winter day. But tell yourself to stop moping around and pick up the pace a little with the catchiest most summer-sounding substitute-for-serotonin soundtrack:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

if you want sad material and funny clips please click the hyper link keyword and like my page plz