Saturday, October 10, 2009

Dance Song 97

Whenever I listen to Sleater Kinney “Dance Song 97” I am instantly transported back to London in 1999. Me and Tex, inseparable and intertwined partners-in-crime forever or until we are separated by forces external to us.

It’s breakfast and we’re dancing on the table in the kitchen and we’re ecstatic because this is our song and it is the soundtrack for our life (which hasn’t really been an easy one lately), cos we can never imagine what it would be like not to know each other and it feels like we have always known each other anyway.

But actually we've only known each other for a couple of months, it just was a case of accelerated friendship time. And it’s also special because it’s just about the only music we both like and can share with each other

Now I hear "Dance Song" and I look back on that time as one of those rare moments where I was totally in the present and totally appreciated it, and could look back on it so fondly after Tex died a couple of months later. We used to share a room and fall asleep almost every night listening to Portishead (I still can't really listen to anything by them because it makes my heart ache too much)

At the start of 2009, I started getting rid of old letters and bits-and-pieces and ditching the artefacts of my past ready to move from Brisbane to Melbourne. I found all my old Tex letters and reading over them made me miss having someone in my life who I adored and looked up to and admired so much.

Admired, as in, I respected the shit out of the way he lived his everyday life, his ability to transform a room within seconds, the way he could totally change and uplift the mood, his total loving kindness in everyday moments. The kind of person I would always want to have by my side in life

The total honour it was for me to be sharing daily life with someone like him, not to mention someone with a true I-don’t-give-a-fuck-what-people-think attitude, seeing him sob and weep and laugh and live his life out in full plain view of anyone who was around.

I never knew anyone like him before. It was also the first time I remember having a friend who loved me so fiercely and intensely and constantly told me so. This is a reminder for when all those letters are thrown away and gone forever

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the awesome post. I couldn't have described Tex, aka Geza, any better! It's hard to explain him because he was one of a kind. And he did love and play fiercely! I recently had a similar experience... I was sitting in a private concert with a small group and Dennis DeYoung singing the songs of Styx. I couldn't help but think of Geza...and the tears did came down. As they did when reading your blog! Don't ever throw away those precious letters! If you need someone to hold on to them, send them to me, you fellow picsean. I will snuggle them next to mine. They are treasures! Share them, don't shred them! And may we all dance on tables together one day again! Love you Kylie! -Girl Gretchen